Lancaster County Treasurer since January 2019
- Chief custodian of the County funds, safeguarding County monies.
- Tax enforcement officer for Lancaster County.
- Responsible for the billing and collection of property taxes.
- Accountable for the disbursement of payments due to subdivisions, including City of Lincoln and Lincoln Public Schools.
- Provide motor vehicle services to County residents.
- Participated in the successful software implementation modernizing the State’s DMV system.
- Successfully negotiated lower credit card transaction fees with vendor.
- Employed an easy-to-use Appointment System allowing constituents to avoid lines to process their motor vehicle transactions.
- Restructured and updated personal positions to better serve the public.
University of Nebraska- Lincoln for over 25 years, working in the Office of Student Accounts.
- Responsible for the monthly student billing process and collections.
- Efficiently designed, set-up and maintained student account assessment processes.
- Developed student financial procedures, train and evaluate staff.
- Responsible for understanding bankruptcy laws and other federal and state laws pertaining to student accounts, Perkin Loans and short-term loans.
- Analysis, coordination, and report development for student accounts receivables.
- Responsible for coordinating testing system changes and troubleshooting problems.
- Developed unique processes/programs to compensate for features not in the student information system for student financials.
- Served as the Student Accounts Liaison to the Information Services technical staff.
Graduated with a BS in Business Administration from Nebraska Wesleyan University
Get to Know Rachel
As a minister’s daughter, I was born in New Jersey and grew up throughout Eastern Nebraska. I came to Lincoln to go to college and graduated from Nebraska Wesleyan University with a degree in Business Administration. After my first marriage and divorce I came to know what it is like to be a single parent raising my son. While developing my career, I made choices and sacrifices because I valued spending time with my son over going back to school to advance my career. My family has always been supportive. I am very thankful for them.
Fast forward to today, I am happily married 18 years to my husband, Jim Garver, who currently serves on the Southeast Community College Board of Governors. Between us, we have three grown sons. We own a home in central Lincoln. Our fourth “son” is an eight-year-old rescue dog, Theo. He is our pride and joy and a bit spoiled.
In my free time, I enjoy reading, I am into Genealogy, and I love gardening. I practice Yoga, daily meditation, and prayer. I love following most genres of music most especially American, Blues, Jazz, Folk and Chamber Music. My most favorite thing to do is to be with family and close friends.